VMware vSphere is a virtualisation platform for
building cloud infrastructures. It enables users to run business-critical applications with confidence and respond to business needs quicker. vSphere accelerates the shift to cloud computing for existing datacenters and underpins compatible public cloud offerings. The collection of internal clouds are federated on-demand to external clouds to deliver IT infrastructure as an accessible service.
VMware vSphere 6.5 is a next-generation infrastructure for next-generation applications. It provides a powerful, flexible and secure foundation for business agility that accelerates the digital transformation to cloud computing and promotes success in the digital economy. vSphere 6.5 supports both existing and next-generation apps through its 1) simplified customer experience for automation and management at scale; 2) comprehensive built-in security for protecting data, infrastructure and access; and 3) universal application platform for running any app anywhere. With vSphere 6.5, customers can now run, manage, connect and secure their applications in a common operating environment, across clouds and devices.
VMware vSphere is available in the following editions:
- VMware vSphere Standard Edition: Provides an entry-level solution for basic server consolidation.
- VMware vSphere Standard with Operations Management: Builds on vSphere Standard edition by adding vCenter Operations Management Suite Advanced for performance and capacity management and vCenter Protect Standard for centralised patch management. All components of vSphere Standard with Operations Management are licenced together on a uniform per-CPU basis.
- VMware vSphere Enterprise Edition:Use to optimise IT assets, ensure cost-effective business continuity and streamline IT operations through automation.
- VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus Edition: Offers the full range of VMware vSphere features for transforming datacenters into simplified cloud infrastructures.
VMware vSphere Kits all-in-one solutions that include multiple vSphere licences and vCenter Server enabling an organisation to begin their vSphere environment. Kits are available in two editions Essentials Kits and Acceleration Kits.
- VMware vSphere Essentials Kit: All-in-one solution ideal for small offices. It enables consolidation and management of applications to reduce hardware and operating costs. The VMware vSphere Essentials kit must be purchased along with a one-year subscription to software patches and updates. Support is optional and available on a per incident basis.
- VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit: Adds features such as vSphere vMotion, vSphere HA, vSphere Storage Appliance for Essentials Plus and vSphere Data Protection to VMware vSphere Essentials to enable always-on IT for the small environment. SnS for VMware vSphere Essentials Plus is sold separately. A minimum of one year of SnS is required.
- VMware vSphere Essentials Kit for Retail and Branch Offices: Special edition designed for deployments in branch offices of mid-size or large enterprises. This edition offers a packaged solution to extend agility, security and efficiency across the organisation and allow remote management of the office deployment either locally or from a central location running VMware vCenter Server.